It is estimated that one in 20 people in the UK have a thyroid problem, but that statistic could be much higher with many individuals unaware they have an issue.
There are suggestions that the prevalence of some thyroid disorders is on the rise and so too are the number of prescriptions for thyroid hormones
Symptoms of Thyroid Dysfunction
- Slow metabolism
- Weight Gain
- Poor Memory
- Poor Concentration
- Poor Hearing
- Slow Pulse
- Cold hands and feet
- Hair Loss
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Fertility issues
- A change in taste or smell
- Racing heart
- Loose stools or constipation
The thyroid contributes to our mood metabolism, our menstrual cycle, and our energy, and it affects every single cell in our body.
Scroll down to read our case study!
Here’s How The Thyroid Works…
As you can see from the above diagram there are a few opportunities where the thyroid can fall over.
Each stage of the thyroid relies on certain nutrients to function properly, and each stage can be impacted by many lifestyle factors.
Gp’s will test for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) and T4. But, they almost never look beyond these 2 hormones, and this could be why many people are struggling with unexplained symptoms and just not ‘feeling right’
Weight gain, arthritis, pain, and sub-clinical hypothyroidism.
When we met Lisa, she described herself as feeling 90 years old not 51.
She was a busy mum of 4 children, gaining weight, was very active but not recovering from exercise, and had recently been advised by her GP that she has arthritis in her toe which created lots of pain.
Pain killers were prescribed for the pain, and subsequently an acid blocker to combat the side effects of the pain killers.
She was also on the cusp of being prescribed thyroid medications on the advice of her GP as levels were described as borderline hypothyroidism.
Lisa’s symptoms when she contacted us were:
- Aches and pains
- Muscle stiffness
- Poor sleep – waking multiple times in the night
- Weight gain
- Low mood
We always ask what our clients want – what they really want.
Lisa told us she wanted to be:
💪🏼 to feel her age
💪🏼 lose body fat, but retain muscle.
Lisa described her relationship with food as ‘out of control’, often feeling ‘hangry’, and wanted to get her weight under control and her appetite stabilised .
She was ready to do whatever it takes and to adopt new habits and sustainable change.
Lisa had already highlighted to us that she had a diagnosis of nodules on her thyroid but hadn’t been prescribed medication as the thyroid was functioning as ‘normal’ and the GP wanted to hold off on any prescription medications as long as possible.
We needed some real data – so we arranged an Advanced Blood Analysis test with our Lab.
The test included a full thyroid panel, an analysis of sex hormones and many other markers to give us a full picture of Lisa’s health.
The report told us that Lisa’s thyroid was 81% dysfunctional and required some support. Lisa’s T4 hormone wasn’t converting efficiently into the active T3 hormone.
When there’s not enough T3 getting into our cells then energy, stomach acid, mood, weight and menstruation can be affected.
We also noticed that Lisa was training as an athlete but not eating like one. She was often eating lower calories around her activity, but snacking in between and disrupting her blood sugars.
We know from experience that you can’t out train an inadequate diet, and this case it was important that we address the balance of protein, fats and carbs in order to get Lisa feeling better and motivated to continue with her activities.
We also needed her to have healthy regular bowel movements to support detoxification, reduce bloating, and increase her energy.
Daily bowel movements are so often ignored, but are so so important!
THE STEPS WE TOOK:
1. We addressed the basics and start implementing healthier more consistent habits including meal prep and planning
2. We arranged a stool test and advanced blood analysis including a full breakdown of Lisa’s thyroid health
3. We referred Lisa to a trusted practitioner for colonic irrigation to support her nutrition plan
4. We addressed imbalances and systemic dysfunction that were flagged up in her test results
5. We expanded her diet to address nutrient deficiencies and fibre intake
6. We created a short term personalised supplement plan to support her thyroid
7. We implemented some lifestyle changes to support detoxifcation and help manage stress
Lisa saw positive changes immediately.
With the changes we made her energy levels increased and she has stayed motivated and enthusiastic from day one right through to the end of her programme.
After 12 weeks:
- Lisa is leaner and benefitted from a 2% drop in fat, and is stronger and healthier.
- She has lost inches and feels energetic.
- Toe pain has completely gone! And without the use of pain medications.
- She feels capable of managing stress with no more panic attacks.
- Lisa now recovers well from exercise which means she can build on her exercise and training plan to improve fitness.
- Food cravings are gone and the feeling of being ‘hangry’ has subsided which is contributing to a steady energy balance.
- She now has a healthy daily bowel movement.
- Sleep has improved leaving her energised and refreshed in the mornings
- No more bloating or discomfort after eating (this was a biggie!)
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my journey and know I will continue to grow as a result of the support and knowledge passed on during the last 12 weeks.
I can’t believe how different I feel as a result. I am full of energy, my mindset has changed and I have lost a good few inches and pounds along the way.
The overall feeling I have knowing that my health has improved is the most important thing and I feel awesome. Thank you for everything, I really appreciate your time and support.“